Friday 16 March 2012

My Granny's Banana Cake Recipe

I've spent this week off work - I ended up with a weeks leave left over (do not know how I managed that!) so I thought I would have a lazy week off work. I have filled my time with plenty of baking, a teensy tiny bit of shopping (I've tried to avoid this expensive habit since we are saving for a house!) and a bit of Gossip Girl (love this show!).

The first thing I decided to bake this week was Banana Cake using my Granny's recipe. Perhaps this isnt one of the prettiest cakes you've ever seen but it definitely is rather scrummy - it's also super quick to make and an ideal way to use up bananas. I dont know about anyone else but I always seem to have at least one sad looking banana in my fruit bowl. This week I ended up with three so you guessed it - I made 3 banana cakes!

Banana Cake

Ingredients
5oz self raising flour
Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
1 ripe banana
2 oz soft butter
1 egg
5oz sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract


Method

Place the egg, banana, sugar, butter and vanilla in a liquidiser and blend till smooth and creamy. (Alternatively, if like me, you don't have a liquidiser, just use an electric mixer!)
Sieve flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and pour into the liquidised mix. Combine thoroughly.
Bake in a greased 7 inch square tin for 30-35 mins at 160C (fan oven).



1 comment:

  1. I disagree, your banana cake looks very pretty! I bet it's tasty too. There are some very ripe looking bananas on my kitchen worktop so I have a feeling I'll be baking with them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete